- RT @equals: We are EQUALS! #EQUALSinTech 2018 Partnership Meeting https://t.co/gXlErNmiYB https://twitter.com/GSMAm4d/status/1044140333804769280
- Congratulations to our Connected Women Commitment Partners for reach over 12 million new women with #mobile intern… https://t.co/Eajn93KIqA https://twitter.com/GSMAm4d/status/1043168317492609024
- Congratulations to @SimGas_NL, a #M4DUtilities Innovation Fund grantee, on winning a @CCACoalition Award, in the ‘i… https://t.co/pa3eOdjp8p https://twitter.com/GSMAm4d/status/1043137076357681158
- We interviewed Laban Jemba from @LipaMobile_ on their use of #mobile in addressing the #SDGs and what advice they… https://t.co/AlXtP0KJPL https://twitter.com/GSMAm4d/status/1043106774537121792
- #India ranked amongst the top 5 most improved in #GSMA's #Mobile Connectivity Index, find out why:… https://t.co/eDHfV9Wpg2 https://twitter.com/GSMAm4d/status/1042782931935285248
Mobile for Development Utilities Programme
Unlocking access to essential utility services through mobile
Our mission is to unlock commercially sustainable business models that leverage mobile to deliver affordable and improved energy, water and sanitation services in emerging markets.
In emerging markets, many people cannot access basic utility services that are essential to life. The reach of mobile connectivity is greater than the reach of basic utility services, such as electricity and improved water and sanitation services.
The Mobile for Development Utilities Programme promotes the use of mobile networks, infrastructure and payment systems to open new pathways for affordable and reliable utility services to reach the underserved. These innovations for service delivery boost industry and economic growth, for example by enabling entrepreneurial phone charging services in remote areas, or reducing water service providers’ losses from water leakage or uncollected bills.
M4D Utilities seeks to drive the use of mobile to improve or increase access to basic utility services through the following activities:
- The M4D Utilities Innovation Fund
- Knowledge sharing and convening
- Technical advisory to mobile operators
- Market building
This initiative is currently funded by the UK Department for International Development (DFID), the Scaling Off-Grid Energy Grand Challenge for Development and
supported by the GSMA and its members.
The business models in mobile-enabled water services are fast evolving towards a promising future. Through ...Read more
In 2015, the GSMA Mobile for Development Utilities programme awarded SunCulture a grant to design and scale ...Read more
Mobile technology is a key component for providing those in emerging markets with access to energy. At Mobile ...Read more
In December 2015, the GSMA Mobile for Development Utilities programme awarded an 18-month grant to d.light, ...Read more
Africa Water Enterprises: Using IoT to monitor and introduce pre-payment for remote water stands in The Gambia
In 2015, Africa Water Enterprises (AWE) was awarded a grant from the GSMA Mobile for Development Utilities ...Read more
Every day in India, over 500 million people practice open defecation that could lead to adverse health ...Read more
Our Mobile for Development (M4D) Utilities team held a two-day event in Kigali, prior to also supporting ...Read more
On a hot June morning, I make my way through the busy streets of Manila towards the Asian Development Bank ...Read more
This blog was co-authored by Anant Nautiyal. A single-point of integration to accelerate the pay-as-you-go ...Read more
Photo above provided courtesy of KopaGas. Launched in 2013, the Mobile for Development Utilities Innovation ...Read more