- Our #EcosystemAccelerator team recently visited Samoa to work with #EAInnovationFund #startup, @SkyEye_Samoa and th… https://t.co/kSjSdTvoKo https://twitter.com/GSMAm4d/status/1131586967391617027
- Three new case studies, ‘Reaching further with low #tech’ and a fresh style – read our #EcosystemAccelerator Compas… https://t.co/carxcpV4UB https://twitter.com/GSMAm4d/status/1131550355081355264
- Find out why #Singapore ranked amongst the top 5 in #GSMA's #Mobile Connectivity Index for #Infrastructure:… https://t.co/ZAGmrZOilj https://twitter.com/GSMAm4d/status/1131503820566089728
- Read the latest #mAgri blog to learn about the experience of agribusinesses using digital tools in the last mile of… https://t.co/JBWx5g0Yv9 https://twitter.com/GSMAm4d/status/1131462306062360576
- RT @Ab_parr: Just over 2 weeks to apply to the GSMA Mobile for Humanitarian Innovation fund! Want £50k-500k funding? Using #mobile tech to…https://twitter.com/GSMAm4d/status/1131235572331290625
Mobile for Development Utilities Programme
Unlocking access to essential utility services through mobile
Our mission is to unlock commercially sustainable business models that leverage mobile to deliver affordable and improved energy, water and sanitation services in emerging markets.
In emerging markets, many people cannot access basic utility services that are essential to life. The reach of mobile connectivity is greater than the reach of basic utility services, such as electricity and improved water and sanitation services.
The Mobile for Development Utilities Programme promotes the use of mobile networks, infrastructure and payment systems to open new pathways for affordable and reliable utility services to reach the underserved. These innovations for service delivery boost industry and economic growth, for example by enabling entrepreneurial phone charging services in remote areas, or reducing water service providers’ losses from water leakage or uncollected bills.
M4D Utilities seeks to drive the use of mobile to improve or increase access to basic utility services through the following activities:
- The M4D Utilities Innovation Fund
- Knowledge sharing and convening
- Technical advisory to mobile operators
- Market building
This initiative is currently funded by the UK Department for International Development (DFID), the Scaling Off-Grid Energy Grand Challenge for Development and
supported by the GSMA and its members.
In emerging markets, there is a significant gap in access to water and sanitation services. Mobile ...Read more
The Instant Payment Notification (IPN) Hub is an industry utility created by the GSMA to enable ecosystem ...Read more
The business models in mobile-enabled water services are fast evolving towards a promising future. Through ...Read more
In 2015, the GSMA Mobile for Development Utilities programme awarded SunCulture a grant to design and scale ...Read more
Mobile technology is a key component for providing those in emerging markets with access to energy. At Mobile ...Read more
The biggest annual event in the mobile industry is less than three weeks away. Join the Mobile for ...Read more
Towards smart sustainable sanitation for all: Our three takeaways from the Toilet Board Coalition’s annual gathering
On 16 and 17 January, the Mobile for Development (M4D) Utilities team was invited to attend the annual ...Read more
According to the GSMA 2017 State of the Industry Report on Mobile Money, Sub-Saharan Africa alone has 135 ...Read more
Heading into our sixth year at the GSMA Mobile for Development (M4D) Utilities programme, we’re pushing ...Read more
It was great to be back at the Kigali Convention Centre for GOGLA and Solar Plaza’s Unlocking Solar Capital ...Read more