- @YasminaMcCarty, Head of M4D, discusses #digitalidentity and #SDG 16.9 at #ITUGSR in Geneva last week… https://t.co/RmCSVAq1bq https://twitter.com/GSMAm4d/status/1020247087575977984
- That's a wrap from Kigali! Thank you to all our speakers and to everyone who attended #M360Africa. What a fascinati… https://t.co/MguTZUvx8U https://twitter.com/GSMAm4d/status/1020235223274008576
- RT @matt_wilson0: The @GSMAm4d Digital Identity programme’s most recent case study explores two emerging & innovative solutions that are us…https://twitter.com/GSMAm4d/status/1019967585792811008
- Arthur Rutagengwa from @MTNRwanda explains the benefits of the GSMA IPN Hub to enable real-time payment notificatio… https://t.co/86RLivRxp7 https://twitter.com/GSMAm4d/status/1019939769655050240
- Dickson Marira from #M4DUtilities grantee Wonderkid, shares how they made it from winning the #waterhackathon to se… https://t.co/AozIXw3L5V https://twitter.com/GSMAm4d/status/1019937188979597312
Mobile for Development Utilities Programme
Unlocking access to essential utility services through mobile
Our mission is to unlock commercially sustainable business models that leverage mobile to deliver affordable and improved energy, water and sanitation services in emerging markets.
In emerging markets, many people cannot access basic utility services that are essential to life. The reach of mobile connectivity is greater than the reach of basic utility services, such as electricity and improved water and sanitation services.
The Mobile for Development Utilities Programme promotes the use of mobile networks, infrastructure and payment systems to open new pathways for affordable and reliable utility services to reach the underserved. These innovations for service delivery boost industry and economic growth, for example by enabling entrepreneurial phone charging services in remote areas, or reducing water service providers’ losses from water leakage or uncollected bills.
M4D Utilities seeks to drive the use of mobile to improve or increase access to basic utility services through the following activities:
- The M4D Utilities Innovation Fund
- Knowledge sharing and convening
- Technical advisory to mobile operators
- Market building
This initiative is currently funded by the UK Department for International Development (DFID), the Scaling Off-Grid Energy Grand Challenge for Development and
supported by the GSMA and its members.
In 2015, the GSMA Mobile for Development Utilities programme awarded SunCulture a grant to design and scale ...Read more
Mobile technology is a key component for providing those in emerging markets with access to energy. At Mobile ...Read more
In December 2015, the GSMA Mobile for Development Utilities programme awarded an 18-month grant to d.light, ...Read more
Africa Water Enterprises: Using IoT to monitor and introduce pre-payment for remote water stands in The Gambia
In 2015, Africa Water Enterprises (AWE) was awarded a grant from the GSMA Mobile for Development Utilities ...Read more
On a hot June morning, I make my way through the busy streets of Manila towards the Asian Development Bank ...Read more
This blog was co-authored by Anant Nautiyal. A single-point of integration to accelerate the pay-as-you-go ...Read more
Photo above provided courtesy of KopaGas. Launched in 2013, the Mobile for Development Utilities Innovation ...Read more
Image provided courtesy of WonderKid World Water Day is upon us once again and poses as a poignant time to ...Read more
Devergy: Leveraging a mobile services bonus to encourage the use of mobile money wallets for smart solar mini-grids in Mbeya, Tanzania
This blog was written by Salima Fazal Karim, former Senior Market Engagement Manager for Mobile for ...Read more