- A coordinated industry approach is crucial to ensuring robust security in #mobilemoney #smartphone applications. Re… https://t.co/67bP9MkeA6 https://twitter.com/GSMAm4d/status/1044158260171984897
- RT @equals: We are EQUALS! #EQUALSinTech 2018 Partnership Meeting https://t.co/gXlErNmiYB https://twitter.com/GSMAm4d/status/1044140333804769280
- Congratulations to our Connected Women Commitment Partners for reach over 12 million new women with #mobile intern… https://t.co/Eajn93KIqA https://twitter.com/GSMAm4d/status/1043168317492609024
- Congratulations to @SimGas_NL, a #M4DUtilities Innovation Fund grantee, on winning a @CCACoalition Award, in the ‘i… https://t.co/pa3eOdjp8p https://twitter.com/GSMAm4d/status/1043137076357681158
- We interviewed Laban Jemba from @LipaMobile_ on their use of #mobile in addressing the #SDGs and what advice they… https://t.co/AlXtP0KJPL https://twitter.com/GSMAm4d/status/1043106774537121792
The opportunity for digitising agricultural value chains
The digitisation of agricultural value chains is an emerging opportunity for mobile network operators (MNOs) to drive rural growth through enterprise solutions tailored to agribusinesses. Moving beyond the initial provision of agricultural value-added services (VAS) or bulk payments, holistic enterprise solutions might include a combination of digital payments, digital records and farmer profiles, content and track and trace services.
Enterprise solutions for agriculture also allow MNOs to leverage and grow the adoption of their mobile financial services and Internet of Things (IoT) platforms.
Moving from cash-based transactions to digital payments into the mobile wallets of smallholder farmers opens up a range of agriculture and non-agriculture related rural uses cases, from person-to-person (P2P), to bill and utility payments to credit and savings products.
An overview of the digitising agricultural value chains initiative
The GSMA mAgri programme is working with MNOs and agribusinesses that are committed to and investing in the digitisation of agricultural value chains through enterprise solutions. We support MNOs and their agribusiness partners in identifying country-specific opportunities for launching or scaling business-to-business-to customer (B2B2C) services optimising procurement from smallholder farmers. We provide a range of in-kind support, from in-market research, partnership brokering and iterative service design to knowledge sharing with practitioners in the space.
We’re interested in hearing from MNOs who meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Located in Sub-Saharan Africa or South/South East Asian markets; and
- Seek support with scaling existing or launching new agricultural value chain digitisation services.
For qualified MNOs demonstrating strong teams and willingness to allocate resources for product development, the GSMA offers a comprehensive package of in-kind support, including:
- Initial user and product design research;
- Value chain opportunity sizing and prioritisation (e.g. opportunity in coffee versus dairy value chains);
- Support with business case assessment;
- Support with identifying and building the pipeline of potential agribusiness clients;
- Partnership brokering and support in building the pipeline of technology vendors;
- Support with gathering customer feedback and identifying barriers to adoption;
- Quarterly service performance diagnostics and review against success criteria;
- Support with the development of a clear roadmap for service evolution;
- Benchmarking your service’s performance against peers in regional and global markets;
- Providing advanced access to the latest insights through tailored consultancy, publications, case studies and webinars.
Although our MNO engagement resources are committed for 2018, we are keen to hear from MNOs who have prioritised the mobile agriculture opportunity and/or are interested in future rounds of engagement.
Interested MNOs can get started by completing the capability assessment questionnaire below.
If you are an agribusiness or tech provider in this space and looking for an MNO partner, or have any questions, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. This initiative aligns with the telecom industry’s commitment to creating solutions that will support the delivery of the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) 1, 2, 5 and 9.
Technology is changing the way we access a range of products and services, from viewing digital content to ...Read more
The GSMA’s Gender Analysis and Identification Toolkit (GAIT) addresses an issue many mobile operators ...Read more
In this video series we hear from certified providers on what the GSMA Mobile Money Certification is, the ...Read more
The business models in mobile-enabled water services are fast evolving towards a promising future. Through ...Read more
In our 2017 Edition of The State of The Industry report, we highlighted an increase in funds entering and ...Read more
A few weeks ago, I had the opportunity to travel to Mexico to learn more about the Carlos Slim Foundation’s ...Read more
We’re pleased to release the first in a series of insight papers exploring trends in the 2017 State ...Read more
Sub-Saharan Africa today still has the lowest proportion of mobile internet subscribers globally – 36% ...Read more
Connected Women Commitment Partners reach over 12 million new women with mobile internet and mobile money services
Mobile has the power to transform lives. It can help empower women, making them more connected and safer, and ...Read more