- Our #M4DUtilities team has worked with @CGAP to explore the opportunities and challenges in offering #digital payme… https://t.co/7ZOOZXcmts https://twitter.com/GSMAm4d/status/1108760515843706880
- RT @CGAP: #Digitalpayments deliver clear cost benefits to #water providers. Check out the new paper from @CGAP & @GSMAm4d #SDG6 https://t.c …https://twitter.com/GSMAm4d/status/1108743247139094528
- 54% of @cellcardkh's sites run as hybrid-solar sites, reducing the reliance on expensive and dirty diesel energy, l… https://t.co/rlJmfenLWh https://twitter.com/GSMAm4d/status/1108727006974353408
- Explore the latest #mAgri tool providing instructions, recommendations and examples to help analyse value chains fo… https://t.co/m7rOp5tr2I https://twitter.com/GSMAm4d/status/1108375273458880513
- RT @BradJOz: It was a pleasure to speak to @OrlaRyanGSMA from @GSMAm4d on why #financialinclusion for women is so important. @WaveMoney_MM…https://twitter.com/GSMAm4d/status/1108346414671765505
The opportunity for digitising agricultural value chains
The digitisation of agricultural value chains is an emerging opportunity for mobile network operators (MNOs) to drive rural growth through enterprise solutions tailored to agribusinesses. Moving beyond the initial provision of agricultural value-added services (VAS) or bulk payments, holistic enterprise solutions might include a combination of digital payments, digital records and farmer profiles, content and track and trace services.
Enterprise solutions for agriculture also allow MNOs to leverage and grow the adoption of their mobile financial services and Internet of Things (IoT) platforms.
Moving from cash-based transactions to digital payments into the mobile wallets of smallholder farmers opens up a range of agriculture and non-agriculture related rural uses cases, from person-to-person (P2P), to bill and utility payments to credit and savings products.
An overview of the digitising agricultural value chains initiative
The GSMA mAgri programme is working with MNOs and agribusinesses that are committed to and investing in the digitisation of agricultural value chains through enterprise solutions. We support MNOs and their agribusiness partners in identifying country-specific opportunities for launching or scaling business-to-business-to customer (B2B2C) services optimising procurement from smallholder farmers. We provide a range of in-kind support, from in-market research, partnership brokering and iterative service design to knowledge sharing with practitioners in the space.
We’re interested in hearing from MNOs who meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Located in Sub-Saharan Africa or South/South East Asian markets; and
- Seek support with scaling existing or launching new agricultural value chain digitisation services.
For qualified MNOs demonstrating strong teams and willingness to allocate resources for product development, the GSMA offers a comprehensive package of in-kind support, including:
- Initial user and product design research;
- Value chain opportunity sizing and prioritisation (e.g. opportunity in coffee versus dairy value chains);
- Support with business case assessment;
- Support with identifying and building the pipeline of potential agribusiness clients;
- Partnership brokering and support in building the pipeline of technology vendors;
- Support with gathering customer feedback and identifying barriers to adoption;
- Quarterly service performance diagnostics and review against success criteria;
- Support with the development of a clear roadmap for service evolution;
- Benchmarking your service’s performance against peers in regional and global markets;
- Providing advanced access to the latest insights through tailored consultancy, publications, case studies and webinars.
Although our MNO engagement resources are committed for 2018, we are keen to hear from MNOs who have prioritised the mobile agriculture opportunity and/or are interested in future rounds of engagement.
Interested MNOs can get started by completing the capability assessment questionnaire below.
If you are an agribusiness or tech provider in this space and looking for an MNO partner, or have any questions, please email us at email@example.com. This initiative aligns with the telecom industry’s commitment to creating solutions that will support the delivery of the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) 1, 2, 5 and 9.
For over a decade, mobile money has been driving financial inclusion, opening access to digital transactions ...Read more
In this case study we will explore four innovative mobile-enabled health solutions in Sub-Saharan Africa and ...Read more
In a previous blog, we highlighted how mobile money still remains largely focused on individual customers ...Read more
In a previous blog, we shared our early insights into the mobile money industry’s transition towards a ...Read more
The mobile industry has shown its commitment to supporting the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), while ...Read more
Opportunity presented by Enterprise customers In a previous blog, we highlighted how mobile money still ...Read more
Between 28 January and 1 February, our Ecosystem Accelerator team was in Egypt to provide further support to ...Read more
The GSMA’s MWC Barcelona and 4YFN events are fast approaching and will be held in Barcelona between 25 and ...Read more